LEVEL GROUND COMBAT FOR WWII
4.02 update January
- Added the Artillery Request Sheet back into the rules
(deleted by accident).
4.01 update 2004
- Added trucks and transports to vehicles lists.
4.0 update 2002-2003
- Changed mid-movement tank assault duration from "per
round" to "per three-round..."
- Clarified "hit on more than one side" assault
- Clarified definition of "casualties" in the When to Roll
for Morale section.
- Modified weapon ranges.
- Changed all range references within the rules text to
yards (due to wider selection of scales).
- Changed moving-firing small arms fire modifier to "...has
moved or will move on current turn..."
- Changed "mixed units" definition for heavy weapons in
assault from "...assigned to infantry..." to "...accompanied by
- Switched emplacements from personnel category to tank
- Creating fieldworks now counts as having moved.
- Separated hasty dig-in and prone callouts. Added dig-in
restrictions for prone units.
- Added assault weapon category along with clarified fire
roles for existing assault weapons and allowances for assaulting units.
- Clarified vehicle crew bailout reaction in morale
- Expanded definition of pinned result to cover cavalry
- Expanded cavalry assault rules, added cavalry bonus to
- Added "local heavy weapons" reaction to morale
- Expanded entrenchment categories
- Added rushing to movement and fire effects.
- Included packed formatinon allowances.
- Eliminated unit intervals rule. (Formerly mentioned in
base intervals section of introduction)
- 3.0 - July 12, 1998
- Besides the changes shown below, many other sections have
been clarified or elaborated upon in ways which do not change rulings, and so
are not listed here.
· Clarified spotting into cover,
limits spotting to a total of 3" through cover instead of 3" into cover.
Example: a unit 1" inside of woods looking accross an open space at other
woods, may only see 2" into those woods.
· Deleted obsolete reference to
assault movement demoralizaion.
· Deleted resurrection of dead bases
during combat lulls.
· Added medium and heavy machine gun
modifiers to Direct Artillery Fire Chart. Added supporting text in rules.
Previous rules only allowed heavy machine gun to fire in anti-tank role and
then with too much effect. New ruling allows more fire at very lightly armored
tanks and armored cars with less effect.
· Condition of headquarters
bases now affects regimental command rolls. Each damage on a headquarters
subtracts one from the command die rolls.
· Artillery: Moved mortar
fire from Area Weapons chart to Direct Artillery Fire chart. This
reduces the previously unrealistic mortar fire effectiveness (especially
against tanks) and ties it in with related artillery modifiers.
Added line of sight to mortar section to indirect mortar fire spotter
· Renamed the Direct Cannon Fire chart. Now called the
Direct Artillery Fire chart.
· Moved high velocity and low
velocity weapon modifiers to individual vehicle weapons (see tank lists).
Replaced that modifier on the Direct Artillery Chart with modifiers for
· Changed values on Morale Chart in order to
increase retreats, routs, etc. Previous values were too high.
Assaulting tanks may now fire their machine guns in both the fire and assault
· Added base interval limits for
personnel and tank units.
· Added machine guns to list of units
which are subject to being overun during an assault (see Mixed
· Added rapid fire reward for direct artillery
· Added light smoke rule for protection of moving
· Added anti-tank rifles to unit lists and rules (
1 fire factor, 10" range).
- 2.02 - February 27, 1998
- CORRECTION: In unit rosters; moved heavy mortars into
towed weapons category (formerly the towed cannon category).
- ADDITION: Expanded the scope of the transport and towing
section of the movement rules. Added vehicle and equipment lists for transport
and soft vehicles.
- ADDITION: Added cavalry rules.
- ADDITION: Added artillery request sheet.
- UPDATED: combat charts updated to reflect latest rule
- 2.01 - September 20, 1996
- CORRECTIONS: In "Special Fire Rules" for Tanks; '...die
roll of 1 on hit die...' is changed to '...die roll of 1 on kill die...'
- ADDITIONS: Added graphics images in rules text and
changes list. In "Tank vs Infantry" Assaults, added the ability for tank units
to assault during movement. Added task descriptions and cleared lane specifics
to the engineering/mine clearing rules.